Since applying the Windows 10 Spring or Fall Creator update on your Windows 10 computer, the WMDC (Windows Mobile Device Center) might fail to launch upon connecting your Handheld device. This applies to computers running Windows 10 with either:
- The Spring Creator Update (1703 OS Build:15063.729) released by Microsoft on 4/11/2017
- The Fall Creator Update (1709 OS Build:16299.64) released on 10/17/2017.
This workaround utilizes a series of batch files & registry key additions to enable the functionality of the Windows Mobile Device Center. on a Windows 10 PC running either the Spring Creator Update (1703 OS Build:15063.729) released by Microsoft on 4/11/2017 or the Fall Creator Update (1709 OS Build:16299.64) released on 10/17/2017.
To begin, download the archived file on the bottom of this page and then follow the steps below.
- Extract the HandheldWMDCFix.zip file to the root of C: – Example:( C:\HandheldWMDCFix )
- View the Readme.txt file in C:\HandheldWMDCFix prior to installing the fix.
- Run Start.bat in C:\HandheldWMDCFix to begin the installation.
Once the installation is complete, ensure you have restarted your computer. You are now able to utilize the Windows Mobile Device Center to sync your Handheld device.