li-ion battery care guide
You would like to know how to properly care for your LI-ION battery.
The descriptions below will provide information for Battery Life, Charging and Extended durations of time when your Handheld unit will not be in use. Additionally, you may select the LI-ION battery care guide for download below.
Battery life can vary depending on usage of the internal modules, backlight settings, and ambient temperature. Factors that decrease battery life include the following:
- Internal radio usage. The 802.11g radio is very power-demanding and can decrease the battery life by a great deal. The Bluetooth® radio will also decrease battery life. To maximize battery life, turn off the radios when they are not in use.
- Frequent use of power-hungry modules such as GPS, cameras, and scanners can decrease battery life by up to 50%.
- Make sure to choose power settings to match your needs. If available and not needed, reduce performance to maximize battery life. Make sure to lower the backlight according to your needs since this will increase battery life.
- Cold temperature reduces battery capacity. The colder the temperature, the more the capacity is reduced. Extremely cold temperatures (-20 °C) can reduce battery life to just a few hours.
- Do not charge batteries below 0C. Doing so can cause irreparable damage to the battery.
- State of charge of batteries before storage should be between 15% and 50%. Around 30 % is recommended.
- Store batteries in room temperature
Will it damage my batteries to leave them on the charger?
Charging continuously for a week or two is unlikely to degrade performance if this only happens occasionally. Continuous charging for many months will decrease the service life of the pack an indeterminate amount, depending on environment and manufacturing variations.
What should I do if I plan to store my handheld for more than a couple weeks?
If you plan to store the unit for longer than a couple of weeks, handheld strongly recommends unplugging the battery from the charger or removing the battery from the device.